If you are trying to curb an aggressive sweet tooth but you’re pining for something that is a little sweet and decadent, these sweet potato brownies are just what you’re looking for.
These brownies use whole sweet potatoes, skin and all, so they are an excellent source of fibre as well as being packed with vitamins and minerals. Perfect with a cup of tea, these chocolatey morsels are a delicious lunchbox inclusion. Here’s how:
WHAT YOU NEED:
1 large pre-cooked sweet potato (the purple ones are delicious)
1 cup dates
4tsp cacao powder
1 cup almond meal
1/2 cup buckwheat flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cardamom
1 pinch of salt
*OPTIONAL 1/4 cup brown sugar
This recipe uses 1 large pre-cooked sweet potato. I recommend popping 1 whole sweet potato (skin and all) in the oven 150C for about 2 hours.
1. Preheat oven at 180C.
2. Blitz 1 pre-cooked sweet potato with 1 cup of dates and 4 tsp cocao powder in a food processor.
3. In a large bowl, combine the processed ingredients with 1 cup almond meal, 1/2 cup buckwheat flour, 2 eggs, 1 tsp cinnamon, ¼ tsp cardamom and a pinch of salt.
4. Additional, but not essential, add ¼ cup of brown sugar.
5. Combine all ingredients well and press into a lined baking tray.
6. Bake for 20 minutes at 180C.
Until next time, eat well, be well…
Lisa Donaldson APD