YES! Our dedicated health contributor, Lisa, invented a scrumptious Christmas ‘breakfast loaf’ – a delicious gift for your carb-conscious, gluten-free or paleo friend!
- This recipe is gluten free.
- This is a slow-release bread, and compared to most loaves is quite low in carbohydrate but a good source of energy.
Makes seven thick slices
3 ripe bananas
2 cups of almond meal
½ cup of buckwheat flour
1 cup walnuts (3/4 for loaf, 1/4 for topping)
¼ cup coconut oil (or olive oil)
1/4 cup molasses – blackstrap or regular
1 tsp vanilla
2 heaped tsp baking powder
2.5 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp ground ginger
0.5 tsp ground cloves
a pinch of nutmeg
a pinch of salt
- Put 10 dates in boiling water and let sit for five minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180C and line a loaf tin with baking paper and spray with olive oil so it doesn’t stick.
- In a blender combine ripe banana, oil, honey, eggs, vanilla, spices, soaked dates and a pinch of salt. Blend to aerate and make smooth.
- In a large bowl place almond meal, buckwheat flour and ¾ cup of walnuts. Make a ‘well’ and pour the liquid into the well and combine.
- Pour the loaf mixture into the lined loaf tin and top with the remaining walnuts.
- Cook for approximately 40 minutes – or until a skewer comes out cleanly. Cooking times can vary between ovens (35-50 minutes)
Per slice – seven thick slices
Energy: 484cal per slice (338cal if you cut into 10 slices)
Lisa Donaldson APD