On Friday 5 August, the Children’s Medical Research Institute launches its 23rd annual day event, Jeans for Genes Day. It’s one of our much-loved national events that sees almost everyone wearing denim – and for a great cause, it would be silly not to!
All of the money raised will go to research aimed at curing childhood genetic diseases, which currently affects one in every 20 Aussie kids. As a result of community support and spirit, the charity has raised more than $65 million over two decades. The money has provided scientists with the funds needed to find treatments and cures to help Aussie kids lead a long and healthy life.
On Jeans for Genes Day, the charity encourages Aussies of all ages to wear their best denim get-ups promoting the current trend of denim on denim.
Claire Fabb from Style by Yellow Button gives some style tips on how to work our denim outfits:
1. Mum jeans. These are so popular right now. They’re such a laid back look and can be really comfortable. If you’re going for a mum jean be sure to choose a pair with a high waist and avoid wearing a long layered top. Instead wear a tight top tucked in or something that sits at the waist.
2. Flares. This look is back and it’s the easiest way to look taller or slimmer. Simply wear flares with a heel or boot to add elevation.
3. Cropped. I’m loving the French inspired crop jean at the moment – it’s very Jane Birkin from back in the day! The important thing for this look is that less is more. If you’re donning this look wear it with a small pump or basic ballet slipper.
4. Frayed hem. These jeans are another gorgeous look, especially if it’s going to be a sunny afternoon as they look best when showing a bit of bare skin. Wear with a simple sandal and have your ankle showing for understated cool elegance. The perfect transeasonal look. Cropped jeans should be a staple coming into summer.
5. Jean and sneaker combo. The sporty look is fashion forward. This looks best with a cropped jean as you want to avoid the Jerry Seinfeld look. Wearing with a simple white sneaker is a good look, however feel free to play around as there are some cool sneakers around at the moment. Why not try a bold gold or even a pattern?
Everyone loves to show off their best fashionable outfits on social media, so be sure to tag #JeansForGenesAu in all of your outfit uploads.
The hassle of donating has become a whole lot easier with the help of ‘text-to-donate’. All you have to do it text ‘jeans’ to 1997 6484 to donate $5, and the sum of the donation will be automatically added to your next phone bill. This year there is no excuse not to donate. You may take part in this event by wearing jeans but keep in mind the reason behind it is to raise money for Aussie children in need.