Anna Plunkett and Luke Sales - the eclectic designers behind Romance Was Born - met whilst studying fashion design and launched their Sydney-based label back in 2005.
Known for their extravagant runway shows, out-there designs and colourful taste, Romance Was Born, more so than any other label in Australia, draws inspiration from our national heritage, celebrating indigenous craftwork and enlisting some of the most talented artists in and around the country to being their prints to life.
Here are 7 other things to know about this Mercedes Benz Fashion Week runway regular and iconic Aussie label...
1. Fashion mavericks including Cate Blanchett, Tavi Gevinson, Nicky Minaj, Karen O, MIA, Lilly Allen and Bat for Lashes are often spotted in Romance Was Born garments.
2. Anna and Luke both attended The Fourth International Support Awards in Italy where they turned down the chance to work with John Galliano.
3. Romance Was Born stocks a total of 18 collections since 2005 and they are ALL available online for purchase.
4. The brand is stocked at over 33 retailers worldwide including; Harvey Nichols in London, Bauhaus in Hong Kong, Lula Rock in Singapore, Dual and HP France in Tokyo. In Australia, they are stocked across a range of independent directional stores such as David Jones as well as online at www.romancewasborn.com
5. Anna and Luke are NOT a couple!
6. They have designed for a number of musicians, including Karen O of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Cyndi Lauper, Debbie Harry, Lilly Allen and Architecture in Helsinki.
7. Inspiration for their shows have included Captain Planet and Freddie Kruger.
We love that Anna and Luke stayed true to their style and pursued their love of kitsch and creativity all those years ago. Gaining the attention of the fashion media at Australian Fashion Week in 2008 was a huge achievement - which is why the woman who wears Romance Was Born isn't afraid to express her individuality.
Image: Feline Dress from the Dream On 2014 collection - available from the www.romancewasborn.com e-boutique.